Welcome to Holy Martyrs Roman Catholic Church in Oreland, Pennsylvania – Founded 1949
” . . . one of the elders spoke up and said to me, “Who are these wearing white robes, and where did they come from?” I said to him, “My lord, you are the one who knows.” He said to me, “These are the ones who have survived the time of great distress; they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.” -Revelation 7:13-14
The Holy Martyrs of the Church of Rome – Our Patrons
pictured: The Christian Martyrs Last Prayer by Leon Gerome
Spring Plant and Flower Sale
We are considering the possibility of providing a Community Garden at Holy Martyrs
we are looking for input and volunteers
please take a minute to complete a brief survey by clicking on the image below
Watch your email for the Weekly Martyrs Messenger
for News and Information!
Saturday schedule, 3:30-4:00 pm
on the side porch of the Rectory
Prayer Card with a THIRD CLASS RELIC of
the True Cross of Our Lord Jesus Christ
Click on the image above to go to the website of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia for the Jubilee Year of St. Joseph
Saint Joseph Relic Prayer Cards
Cards contain a Blessed Cloth
touched to the Relic of the Cloak of St. Joseph (Ex Pallio)
Requested Offering $5.00
Available at the Shrine to St. Joseph and near the Church Sacristy, or by mail.
Year of St. Joseph Indulgences
Granted by the Holy See from December 8, 2020 to December 8, 2021
The PLENARY INDULGENCE is granted under the usual conditions (sacramental confession, Eucharistic communion and prayer according to the intentions of the Holy Father) to the faithful who, with a spirit detached from any sin, participate in the Year of Saint Joseph on the occasions and in the manner indicated by this Apostolic Penitentiary:
• Meditate for at least 30 minutes on the Our Father
• Participate in a spiritual retreat of at least one day that includes a meditation on Saint Joseph
• Perform a corporal or spiritual work of mercy
• Recite the Holy Rosary in families and between the husband and wife
• Entrust their work daily to the protection of Saint Joseph and to all believers who invoke with their prayers the intercession of the worker of Nazareth
• Pray the litany of Saint Joseph (for the Latin tradition), or the Akathistos to Saint Joseph, in its entirety or at least part of it (for the Byzantine tradition), or some other prayer to Saint Joseph, typical of the other liturgical traditions, for the persecuted Church and for the relief of all persecuted Christians
• Pray any lawfully approved prayer or act of piety in honor of Saint Joseph, for example “To you oh blessed Joseph,” especially on:
March 19th (Solemnity of St. Joseph)
May 1st (Feast of St. Joseph the Worker)
December 26th (Feast of the Holy Family)
The Sunday of Saint Joseph (according to the Byzantine tradition)
The 19th day of Every Month
Every Wednesday (a day dedicated to the memory of the Saint according to the Latin tradition
The gift of Plenary Indulgence extends particularly to —
The Elderly, The Sick, The Dying,
All those who for legitimate reasons cannot leave their home and who, with the spirit detached from any sin and with the intention of fulfilling, as soon as possible, the three usual conditions, in your own home or wherever the impediment holds you, pray an act of piety in honor of Saint Joseph, consolation of the sick and patron of good death, confidently offering God the pains and difficulties of his life.
Stewardship Restoration Appeal
Thank you very much for your generous response!
Parish Lottery Calendar Fundraiser
Thank you to everyone who is participating in this fundraiser. Congratulations to our winners. Additional Calendars are available in the vestibule after Mass on weekends and in the Parish Office during the week.
Jubilee Year in Honor of St. Joseph
“With a Father’s Heart”
Pope Francis begins his Apostolic Letter Patris Corde (With a Father’s Heart) with these words, “With a Father’s Heart: this is how Joseph loved Jesus, whom all the Gospels call the Son of Joseph.” The letter was published on the occasion of the 150th anniversary of the decree Quemadmodum Deus published on December 8, 1870, in which Blessed Pius IX declared Saint Joseph Patron of the Universal Catholic Church. In addition, to assist in the worthy celebration of the anniversary, the Holy Father has also announced a special Jubilee Year in honor of St. Joseph.
Blessed Pius IX wrote in 1870, these timeless words, “As almighty God appointed Joseph, son of the patriarch Jacob, over all the land of Egypt to save grain for the people, so when the fullness of time had come and He was about to send to earth His only-begotten Son, the Savior of the world, He chose another Joseph, of whom the first had been the type, and He made him the lord and chief of His household and possessions, the guardian of His choicest treasures.
“Indeed, he had as his spouse the Immaculate Virgin Mary, of whom was born by the Holy Spirit, Jesus Christ our Lord, who deigned to be reputed in the sight of men as the son of Joseph, and was subject to him.
“Him whom countless kings and prophets had desired to see, Joseph not only saw but conversed with, and embraced in paternal affection, and kissed. He most diligently reared Him whom the faithful were to receive as the bread that came down from heaven whereby they might obtain eternal life.
“Because of this sublime dignity which God conferred on his most faithful servant, the Church has always most highly honored and praised blessed Joseph next to his spouse, the Virgin Mother of God, and has besought his intercession in times of trouble.
“And now therefore, when in these most troublesome times the Church is beset by enemies on every side, and is weighed down by calamities so heavy that ungodly men assert that the gates of hell have at length prevailed against her, the venerable prelates of the whole Catholic world have presented to the Sovereign Pontiff their own petitions and those of the faithful committed to their charge, praying that he would deign to constitute St. Joseph Patron of the Church. And this time their prayer and desire was renewed by them even more earnestly at the Sacred Ecumenical Council of the Vatican.”
During this special Jubilee, the faithful will have the opportunity to commit themselves “with prayer and good works, to obtain, with the help of St. Joseph, head of the heavenly Family of Nazareth, comfort and relief from the serious human and social tribulations that besiege the contemporary world today.”
In support of the letter Patris Corde, the Holy Father also promulgated a decree to grant the gift of special indulgences on the occasion of the Year of St. Joseph to all the faithful who will recite any legitimately approved prayer or act of piety in honor of St. Joseph, especially on the recurrences of March 19 and May 1, on the Feast Day of the Holy Family of Jesus, Mary and Joseph, on St. Joseph’s Sunday (according to the Byzantine tradition), on the 19th of each month and every Wednesday, the day dedicated by the church to the memory of Saint Joseph.
Archbishop Salvatore Cordileone, Archbishop of San Francisco,
offers Traditional Latin Pontifical Mass of the Blessed Virgin Mary
at Holy Martyrs
Visit Our Parish Shrines
Take a walk . . . de-stress . . . take time to pray
and let our parish grounds be a source of peace and comfort for you.
Take advantage of the many outdoor shrines and prayer spaces on our Parish grounds, especially the new Crucifix Shrine at the corner of Allison and Ulmer. The Shrine, which is typical of wayside shrines seen in many European countries, was constructed by Michael Matthews of our parish as his Eagle Scout Project. Landscaping, and the blessing and dedication, will be planned in the Fall.
We are grateful to be the recipients of this beautiful gift.
The Monument to the Veterans of the Armed Services.
Monument to the Unborn
Our Lady of Guadalupe, Patroness of the Unborn, pray for us.
The Mary Garden
Saint Francis of Assisi, pray for us.
Saint Therese of Lisieux, pray for us.
Our Lady, Queen of Martyrs, pray for us.
The Celebration of the Sacred Liturgy at the Current Time
• The dispensation from attendance at Mass on Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation continues until further notice.
• Although the obligation to participate at Mass in person on Sundays is dispensed at this time, there is no dispensation from the Commandment to Keep the the Lord’s Day Holy, with prayer and reflection, along with the viewing of a live streamed celebration of Mass whenever possible.
• Those who are sick or compromised due to health conditions are not to come to church. Likewise, those who are at risk are not to exercise liturgical ministries.
MASKS / FACE COVERINGS
• We ask that everyone (except those 2 years of age and younger) attending Mass must wear a face covering from the time they enter the church building until AFTER they leave. The face covering should completely cover the nose, mouth and chin. Liturgical Ministers do not wear a mask while they exercise their particular ministry.
• The face covering should be removed for the reception of Holy Communion. Please follow the arrows on the floor and on the pews for the direction of the Communion procession.
• A social distance of at least six feet all around a person should be maintained at all times. Be particularly aware of keeping this distance when approaching for Holy Communion.
• Social distancing is to be observed between members of different households. But families, members of the same household, do not need to observe distancing among themselves .
• All public areas of the church are regularly sanitized following each gathering. Thank you to all those who have assisted with this task.
NUMBERS OF OCCUPANCY
Churches in Pennsylvania may be occupied up to 75% at this time, keeping an appropriate social distance of about six feet.
THE CELEBRATION OF MASS
The Sacred Liturgy is to be celebrated, as always, according to what is prescribed in the liturgical books as directed to the worship of Almighty God.
• Congregational singing is currently suspended. The Propers of the Mass may be sung with an antiphon by the assembly. The Entrance Chant (The Introit), Responsorial Psalm, Verse Before the Gospel, Holy, Holy, The Mystery of Faith, Great Amen, and Communion Chant represent the minimum of sung parts. These Proper parts are the norm for any celebration of Mass, though they have often been replaced by hymns. During this time we have had the opportunity throughout the church to restore these Proper parts of the Mass.
• Instrumental music may be used for preludes and postludes, for the Offertory, and the Recessional.
• The exchange of the Sign of Peace, which is always merely optional, is omitted. In the best of times, this sign must never be merely a wave, or the “peace sign”. The presentation of the Gifts at the Offertory is also omitted.
• Single use worship aids are provided at the church entrances with the chants for Mass – please take it with you when you leave.
WEEKLY E-MAIL NEWSLETTER COMMUNICATIONS
Watch your email for our weekly Newsletter. If you know someone who is not receiving the messages, and would like to, please remind them to send their email address to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please also check in with our parish FACEBOOK pages – Church, Respect Life, and Carnival – for more information and spiritual reflections and prayers.
Also don’t forget to visit our parish website www.holymartyrschurch.org for information and updates. There you can access the weekly digital Parish Bulletin.
+ + + + + + +
Listen in this Monday to In His Sign Catholic Radio Network WTMR 800AM at 4:00pm
I will be the guest of Ann McGlone on her show Thy Will Be Done, for stories of St. Philomena, as well as my collection of Sacred Relics. www.inhissign.com In His Sign Catholic Radio Network, Thy Will Be Done. Don’t miss it!!!!!
You can also tune in each Friday at 11 AM Eastern for AIM HIGH on Radio Maria www.radiomaria.us hosted by Father Jason Kulczynski. Each show is normally broadcast for two consecutive weeks.
Radio Maria is available in our area on the website www.radiomaria.us or the Radio Maria App which can be downloaded for free at their website www.radiomaria.us You can also listen to the Archives of most of the broadcasts of shows from the past 8 years.
+ + + + + + +
RELEVANT RADIO – www.relevantradio.com Also in our area at 640am on the radio
Bringing Christ to the World through the Media
Join all of the hosts who bring news and information, prayers and Devotions throughout the day.
Mass is broadcast daily at 1:00pm Eastern
The Family Rosary Across America at 8:00pm Eastern
+ + + + + + +
PRAYER to Saint Joseph, Protector of the Universal Church
Composed by Pope Leo XIII in 1889
Let us pray
To you, O blessed Joseph,
do we come in our tribulation,
and having implored the help of your most holy Spouse,
we confidently invoke your patronage also.
Through that charity which bound you
to the Immaculate Virgin Mother of God
and through the paternal love
with which you embraced the Child Jesus,
we humbly beg you graciously to regard the inheritance
which Jesus Christ has purchased by his Blood,
and with your power and strength to aid us in our necessities.
O most watchful guardian of the Holy Family,
defend the chosen children of Jesus Christ;
O most loving father, ward off from us
every contagion of error and corrupting influence;
O our most mighty protector, be kind to us
and from heaven assist us
in our struggle with the power of darkness.
As once you rescued the Child Jesus from deadly peril,
so now protect God’s Holy Church
from the snares of the enemy and from all adversity;
shield, too, each one of us by your constant protection,
so that, supported by your example and your aid,
we may be able to live piously, to die in holiness,
and to obtain eternal happiness in heaven.
Photos of Adoration of the Most Blessed Sacrament
on DIVINE MERCY SUNDAY!
Please visit the Parish FACEBOOK pages for more information and spiritual reflections.
Sunday Mass offered for the People of Holy Martyrs Church
Click on the image below to register and begin using FORMED.
FORMED is the revolutionary digital platform that gives you access to video-based study programs, feature films, audio presentations, and eBooks from the Church’s foremost presenters . . . At the parish or on the go, FORMED allows you access to the Catholic Faith.
Our Lady, Queen of Martyrs, Pray for us
Traditional Latin Mass – April 5, 2017
The Faithful Traveler on EWTN . . .
For Information click on the picture.
Exposition of Sacred Relics
On All Saints Day at Holy Martyrs and other locations
Over 100 relics of the Lord and the Saints were on display on March 29, 2017.
Students from Regina Luminis Academy visit the Exposition of Relics
Included in the collection is a relic of the Cross of our Lord, relics from Mount Calvary and the Birthplace of our Lord. Also included are relics of the Cloak of St. Joseph, St. John the Baptist, St. Philomena, St. Francis, St. Anthony of Padua, St. Charles Borromeo, St. John Neumann, St. Katharine Drexel, St. (Mother) Teresa of Calcutta, St. John Paul II, Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati, St. Damian of Molokai, St. Therese, Venerable Fulton J. Sheen, Servant of God Fr. Walter Ciszek, and many others.
Healing for those who suffer from the pain of Abortion
View the Video of Holy Martyrs Church Groundbreaking Ceremony
The Study of the Sacred Scriptures
Listen to Father Peter Damian on Aim High, on Radio Maria:
Sincere thanks to Archbishop Charles Chaput for allowing us to bring the Altar on which Pope Francis offered Mass on the Parkway in Philadelphia in September 2015 to Holy Martyrs Catholic Church in Oreland, Pa.
Click on the image above for images of moving the Altar to our church.
Vocation Videos Produced by Joyful Films
View more films at www.joyfulfilms.com
Visit the Office for Vocations to the Priesthood of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia at
Father Stephen DeLacy, Vocation Director for the Archdiocese of Philadelphia, describes the new vocation Initiative of the Archdiocese titled, Called by Name, in the following video
Holy Martyrs Catholic Church is the home of the
National Center of the Universal Archconfraternity of Saint Philomena in the United States
visit our website at www.philomenafamilyusa.com
Visit the following links for News of the Catholic Church and Church Documents
The triumphant Lamb of God, inspiration of the victorious Martyrs.
Tuesday, April 2 — Presentation — Father Michael Shea, C.M. Mary at the Foot of the Cross
Tuesday, March 12 — Lenten Soup Supper with the Sisters of Life
Click on the pictures to link to the Sisters of Life Website